This week we continue our series of track record articles illustrating how delivery reliability is built on a foundation of good basic project management processes.
The client, a leading global logistics company, provides a single point of contact to customers for transportation needs including sea freight, air freight, warehousing and land services. They had dramatic growth ambitions and were looking to deliver robust business processes and systems through strengthened project management in order to handle significant increases in business volumes.
Referring to the pyramid diagram above, they were indeed focusing on what we have termed from our research, the Foundational Processes.
What we found
- The projects culture was in development phase and needed significant effort to meet the challenging plans for the organization
- When benchmarked against other organizations, the client recognized the need to improve many aspects of project management – clearer role definition, better benefits management and business case preparation, structured reporting, issues and risk management and sharing of best practice
What we did
- PA helped establish a projects culture to develop business processes and systems to meet the challenging growth demands of the organization
- Together, we developed and implemented good practice project management and established project management controls
- Specific interventions were made with the project and system areas to address project delivery problems and stability of systems
- A Project Office was established and skills and knowledge transferred through project management training and coaching to ensure the new processes and systems were embedded into every day work
What was achieved?
- The client is now being recognized as a strong organisation capable of handling both acquisitions and significant organic growth
- The staff have the required competencies and structure enabling them to manage project teams to achieve the required results
- The organization now has increased the quality of on-time, on-budget, and on-benefit project execution
Having established the foundation this client will most likely focus next on the integrating practices to expand their delivery reliability.